Re: Support for persistant objects in PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Support for persistant objects in PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Suresh,

> Is persistant objects and references to these objects
> supported in PostgreSQL? If so can anyone point me to
> the documentation for these?

These structures are usually known as "Composite Types", although they have a
different, less intuitive name in the SQL99 standard which escapes me at the
moment.   "Persistant Objects" is an Oracle-ism which is why you're having
trouble finding help on it.

Currently 7.4 PostgreSQL 7.4 supports the creation of such types and use of
them in Functions and queries.  However, using them as a table column will
not be supported until the next PostgreSQL version, coming soon.

I don't reccomend using them at any time, though ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions