Re: New to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera Munoz
Subject Re: New to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:42:37PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Steve Bergman wrote:

> > 5. Performance.  Here it seems almost impossible to get solid
> > information, and what little there is out there seems quite dated.
> > My general impression is that under light load and simple queries,
> > MySQL is more nimble, but that under heavier, multi-user load more
> > complex queries PostgreSQL pulls ahead.
>
> This is approximately right, but again, try it yourself.

Jan Wieck has prepared a sort-of-TPC-W testing platform, which allows
one to compare the performance of a real application using whatever
the database is able to provide.  A feature that the database doesn't
provide is coded in the PHP application code instead --- this is what
PHP/MySQL developer do, and what Postgres users should take advantage
of.

I haven't seen numbers from Jan's test, but apparently anyone can take
the test and run it on her own servers ...

"¿Que diferencia tiene para los muertos, los huérfanos, y aquellos que han
perdido su hogar, si la loca destrucción ha sido realizada bajo el nombre
del totalitarismo o del santo nombre de la libertad y la democracia?" (Gandhi)