Re: best type for unix file system timestamp? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Subject Re: best type for unix file system timestamp?
Date
List pgsql-general
Mark Harrison <mh@pixar.com> wrote:

> So, I'm recording the timestamp from some unix files.
>
> Any opinions as to whether it's best to use a "bigint"
> (which matches the file system data) or a "timestamp"
> (which might be easier to manipulate in the database)?

I tend to choose datatypes that lend themselves to easily and clearly
viewing and manipulating the data with the command-line utility, unless
there's a very good reason to do otherwise.

PostgreSQL has a rich complement of operators and functions for working
with timestamp values, so I'd tend to stick with that, I think.

Jim