Re: logfile subprocess and Fancy File Functions - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: logfile subprocess and Fancy File Functions
Date
List pgsql-patches
OK, let's go with something that is purely log stuff and we can revisit
in 7.6.  Ultimately I think we want postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf to
be controllable perhaps at the SQL level rather than the function call
level so we need to scope the entire design for 7.6.  There is certainly
need for remote administration, and Andreas working on pgadmin is at the
front of that.

Andreas' original patch had code that processed the log file name and
threw it into a timestamp field in the function output.  If we are going
log-specific, it seems we should resurect that.

I have heard an idea that we could somehow allow SQL-level control over
pg_hba.conf and then dump the file rather than requiring manual editing,
and the same might be possible for other configuration files.