ERROR: pg_class_aclcheck: relation (OID) not found with SELECT INTO variable - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Betsy Barker
Subject ERROR: pg_class_aclcheck: relation (OID) not found with SELECT INTO variable
Date
Re: ERROR: pg_class_aclcheck: relation (OID) not found with SELECT INTO variable  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-novice
Hi,
I'm building a function that utilizes a temporary table and I am doing a SELECT INTO variable from the table. I've read
severalposts about the EXECUTE,
however I'm stuck because my error happens during the SELECT INTO a variable, and apparently the EXECUTE SELECT INTO
hasnot been implemented in version 7.3.4. Here was my original statement, with the associated error:

        --EXECUTE ''SELECT sum(numberemployees) INTO totemployees FROM wages'';
        --ERROR:  EXECUTE of SELECT ... INTO is not implemented yet

So, I've switched tactics and now I get another error. This error occurs the second time I do the SELECT INTO variable
FROMTEMP TABLE. (Note, the first time I have 1 employee it works, but the second time I have 1 employee, and use the
_ratevariable, I get the error)

Before you look at the error and the code, let me just say that I'm trying to write some code that would normally
requirearray variables, because I'm calculating percentiles. To calculate percentiles, I must be able to find a certain
rownumber. Using arrays, that means I would pull the wage[11] value or something like that. I was unable to get arrays
towork, and I concluded that I cannot use an array as a variable in pl/pgsql. [It kept failing when I would say
variable[i]:= value; So, I switched to temporary tables with a row number, however this is giving me a heck of a time
too.Does anyone have a different approach that would be easier? The goal is to get a table with say 25 rows in it,
containingall different wages. Then, to get the 5th percentile, I may go in and get the 3rd wage, to get the 25th
percentileI would go in and get the 7th wage, etc,etc. Sometimes I have to get two rows and weight them, for instance
getthe 6th and the 7th rows, and perform a function!
. Either way, it isn't that complicated, but I have been unable to determine a good (ie easy and it works) way to do
thistype of logic using this database/language.

Thank you for your help.

NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles with wagerateid:18304
NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles first fetch cursor
NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles with number of employees:2
NOTICE:   5th:24.11
NOTICE:  25th:23.8
NOTICE:  50th:26.9
NOTICE:  75th:30
NOTICE:  95th:29.69
NOTICE:  Working on jobcodeid:8
NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles with wagerateid:18311
NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles first fetch cursor
NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles with number of employees:1
NOTICE:   5th:11.75
NOTICE:  25th:11.75
NOTICE:  50th:11.75
NOTICE:  75th:11.75
NOTICE:  95th:11.75
NOTICE:  Working on jobcodeid:18
NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles with wagerateid:18385
NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles first fetch cursor
NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles with number of employees:4
NOTICE:  #employees > 3:4
NOTICE:   5th:<NULL>
NOTICE:  25th:<NULL>
NOTICE:  50th:<NULL>
NOTICE:  75th:<NULL>
NOTICE:  95th:<NULL>
NOTICE:  Working on jobcodeid:20
NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles with wagerateid:18313
NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles first fetch cursor
NOTICE:  Inside calc_facility_percentiles with number of employees:1
WARNING:  Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function calc_facility_percentiles
WARNING:  line 84 at select into variables
ERROR:  pg_class_aclcheck: relation 20928632 not found

Here is the code:

        RAISE NOTICE ''Inside calc_facility_percentiles with wagerateid:% '',wrid;
        CREATE TEMP TABLE wages AS SELECT 1 as rownumber ,wage,numberemployees FROM wageratedetail WHERE wagerateid =
wrid;
        EXECUTE ''DELETE FROM wages'';

        OPEN wageratelist FOR SELECT wage,numberemployees FROM wageratedetail WHERE wagerateid = wrid ORDER BY wage;

        FETCH wageratelist INTO _wage,_numempl;

        RAISE NOTICE ''Inside calc_facility_percentiles first fetch cursor '';
        WHILE FOUND LOOP

                EXECUTE ''INSERT INTO wages (rownumber,wage,numberemployees) VALUES (''
                ||quote_literal(i)
                ||'',''
                ||quote_literal( _wage)
                ||'',''
                ||quote_literal( _numempl)
                ||'')'';

                i := i + 1;

                FETCH wageratelist INTO _wage,_numempl;

        END LOOP;

        CLOSE wageratelist;

        SELECT sum(numberemployees) INTO totemployees FROM wageratedetail where wagerateid = wrid;

        IF NOT FOUND THEN
                RAISE NOTICE ''Inside calc_facility_percentiles No rate points'';
                RETURN returnpct;
        END IF;

        RAISE NOTICE ''Inside calc_facility_percentiles with number of employees:% '',totemployees;
        IF totemployees = 1 THEN
                SELECT wage INTO _rate FROM wages;

                fifthpct        := _rate;
                twentyfifthpct  := _rate;
                fiftiethpct     := _rate;
                seventyfifthpct := _rate;
                ninetyfifthpct  := _rate;

        END IF;
        IF totemployees = 2 THEN
                select wage INTO _rate1 FROM wages WHERE rownumber = 1;
                select wage INTO _rate2 FROM wages WHERE rownumber = 2;

                fifthpct        :=      ((.95 * _rate1) + (.05 * _rate2));
                twentyfifthpct  :=      _rate1;
                fiftiethpct     :=      ((.50 * _rate1) + (.50 * _rate2));
                seventyfifthpct :=      _rate2;
                ninetyfifthpct  :=      ((.05 * _rate1) + (.95 * _rate2));

        END IF;
        IF totemployees >= 3 THEN

        RAISE NOTICE ''#employees > 3:% '',totemployees;
        END IF;

       DROP TABLE wages;

        RAISE NOTICE '' 5th:% '',fifthpct;
        RAISE NOTICE ''25th:% '',twentyfifthpct;
        RAISE NOTICE ''50th:% '',fiftiethpct;
        RAISE NOTICE ''75th:% '',seventyfifthpct;
        RAISE NOTICE ''95th:% '',ninetyfifthpct;

        IF pcttype = ''05'' THEN
                returnpct       :=       fifthpct;
        ELSIF pcttype = ''25'' THEN
                returnpct       :=       twentyfifthpct;
        ELSIF pcttype = ''50'' THEN
                returnpct       :=       fiftiethpct;
        ELSIF pcttype = ''75'' THEN
                returnpct       :=       seventyfifthpct;
        ELSIF pcttype = ''95'' THEN
                returnpct       :=       ninetyfifthpct;
        END IF;

        RETURN returnpct;
END;

' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';