MySQL-style "create temporary table foo select ..." - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Geoff Richards
Subject MySQL-style "create temporary table foo select ..."
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

I've got some code that currently uses MySQL, and it copies an existing
table into a temporary one like so:
  create temporary table tmp_foo select * from foo;

That creates 'tmp_foo' with the same columns as 'foo', which is
very convenient.  I can't seem to find any reference to how to do
that with Postgres (and I'd like if possible to ditch MySQL).

Just wondering if anyone has ideas about how to do this?  I'd like
to avoid having to work up a table definition to define the temp
table's columns.

Or maybe I could do some sort of trick with the system catalog tables
to get the column information in a convenient form?
  cheers,     geoff

--
Geoff Richards - GBdirect - http://development.gbdirect.co.uk/
tel: 0870 200 7273   sales: 0800 651 0338