Re: Please help me.. problem in to_char - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Theodore Petrosky
Subject Re: Please help me.. problem in to_char
Date
List pgsql-sql
what kind of column is t1.created? It appears that it
is a text column and the format looks like a date. Is
this correct or is it a date? I need more information
about your table structure.

What about:

SELECT t2.id, t2.name, to_char(cast (t1.created as
date),'DD/MM/YYYY')

but the other '::' should work also.

extremedb=> SELECT to_char(cast ('12/4/2004' as
date),'DD/MM/YYYY'); to_char
------------04/12/2004
(1 row)

extremedb=> SELECT
to_char('12/4/2004'::date,'DD/MM/YYYY'); to_char
------------04/12/2004
(1 row)

I have a table with a timestamp in it called
createdate..

\d clientinfo                Table "public.clientinfo"    Column      |           Type           |
Modifiers
not nullcreatedate      | timestamp with time zone | default
now()

extremedb=> SELECT to_char(cast (clientinfo.createdate
as date),'DD/MM/YYYY') from clientinfo; to_char
------------14/07/200414/07/200414/07/2004

Ted