Re: Bug in concat operator for Char? -- More Info - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Bug in concat operator for Char? -- More Info
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > Are these changes intentional,
>
> Yes.  We've been moving more and more steadily towards the notion that
> trailing spaces in char(n) values are insignificant noise.  If you think
> that trailing spaces are significant, you shouldn't be using char(n)
> to store them.

Well, the problem here is that technically we're returning the wrong type.
We should be returning a char(l1+l2) rather than a text for a char
concatenate, but similarly to the recent complaint about numerics, we
don't really have a fully proper way to do that and it seems non-trivial.