Re: serverlog rotation/functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: serverlog rotation/functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

> > Ah wait.
> > Digging further behind SIGUSR1 I now *do* see a solution without pid in
> > shmem, using SendPostmasterSignal. Well, a little hint from gurus would
> > have helped...
> >

> Oops, SendPostmasterSignal uses shmem....
>
> At least, this enables syslogger.c to be free from shmem stuff, except
> for PGSharedMemDetach.

Right.  We already have to use shared mem for the backends and
postmaster.  It is the logger we are worried about.

Tom brought up the point that if the logger used shared memory, we would
have to kill/restart it if we need to reinitialize shared memory,
meaning we would loose logging info at a time we really need it ---
again a good reason not to use shared memory in the logger.

Pennsylvania19073