Re: Proposal for detecting encoding mismatch in initdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Proposal for detecting encoding mismatch in initdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> The behavioral description sounds fine, but I was eagerly awaiting
> your description of exactly how you'd test for compatibility or
> search for a compatible encoding ... without that algorithm the whole
> thing's moot.

It's just an explicit list of things that spell similarly.  There's not
much more we can do, but I don't see any obvious candidates were this
could lead to trouble.

> BTW, what happens if there is more than one apparently-matching
> encoding?  (It might be best to error out in this case, on the theory
> that we evidently don't have a correct matching.)

I just won't put something like that into the list.

--
Peter Eisentraut