initdb crash (SC Manager permissions) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Tarmo Tali
Subject initdb crash (SC Manager permissions)
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32
Hello,

In a same way as may fellows I experience initdb crash during installation.
I was perfectly able to run previous version on my XP box (btw I really
enjoy running PostgreSQL on Windows). As it was time postmaster.exe refused
to run under admin rights it looked like permission issue so I flipped on
object access auditing on my postgres account I found following failure
audit entry in event viewer.

Object Open:
     Object Server:    SC Manager
     Object Type:    SC_MANAGER OBJECT
     Object Name:    ServicesActive
     Handle ID:    -
     Operation ID:    {0,1076464}
     Process ID:    732
     Image File Name:    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
     Primary User Name:    TARMO$
     Primary Domain:    JOLTID
     Primary Logon ID:    (0x0,0x3E7)
     Client User Name:    postgres
     Client Domain:    TARMO
     Client Logon ID:    (0x0,0xD0578)
     Accesses:        Connect to service controller
            Create a new service

     Privileges:        -
     Restricted Sid Count: 0

It seem like initdb is trying to mess around with services but lacks
neccesary rights. Unfortunately enough SC manager rights are immutable and
as far as I can understand only SYSTEM and Administrators has neccesary
rights (I may be wrong here though).

It looks like setting up service requiresadmin rights (sound reasonable to
me) and once service is up it can run under restricted account (sound also
reasonable).

Best Regarda,
Tarmo