Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dennis,

> The non-standard part I was talking about was the savepoints without
> names, and that is what we should support for ever if we introduce them.

I don't have a problem with that idea.    Anonymous Savepoints should be easy
to support if we are supporting Named (spec) Savepoints.  And the two should
even integrate easily -- a *lot* more easily than Savepoints and Nested Xacts
with a different syntax would.   And, it's also a convenient shortcut for the
most common case -- transactions with 1 level of nesting and only a couple of
non-overlapping savepoints.

Of course, if Alvaro can knock out Named Savepoints in a week, then sure,
let's go for it.  But I've not heard him saying he can.

However, this does bring up an important issue; if we implement anonymous
savepoints, then should the current implementation accept savepoint names and
just ignore them?    If not, it makes porting and coding for the spec much
more difficult; if so, ported applications could develop subtle erroneous
behaviour through wrong rollbacks.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco