Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 20:34, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > What is it?
> >
> > Simon posted it.  It is called RELEASE:
> >
> > > BEGIN;
> > >       SAVEPOINT x1;
> > >       INSERT INTO ...;
> > >       RELEASE SAVEPOINT x1;
> > >       SAVEPOINT x1;
> > >       INSERT INTO ...;
> > >       RELEASE SAVEPOINT x1;
> > >       SAVEPOINT x1;
> > >       INSERT INTO ...;
> > >       RELEASE SAVEPOINT x1;
>
> Yes, this is the DB2 and SQLAnywhere syntax.
>
> Oracle uses ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT...identical pretty much.

I thouht ROLLBACK was different from RELEASE, no?  I see ROLLBACK used
in SQL99 for savepoints:
       ROLLBACK [ WORK ] [ AND [ NO ]  CHAIN ]               [ <savepoint clause> ]

RELEASE only discards the savepoint name, I thought.

> Oracle's support of autonomous transactions looks to be identical to
> nested transactions (Alvaro's advice required there...). They don't
> allow you to explicitly call them, but you can use BEGIN/COMMIT in a
> host program that calls a stored procedure, which also contains
> BEGIN/COMMIT, effectively giving nested txns.

Oracle has nested transactions too?  Can you supply an example?

Pennsylvania19073