Re: order of statements in create function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: order of statements in create function
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:16:14PM +0200, Markus Bertheau wrote:

> why does everyone write
>
> CREATE FUNCTION foo() RETURNS INTEGER AS '
> blah blah
> ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>
> I've never seen for example:
>
> CREATE FUNCTION foo()
>     RETURNS INTEGER
>     LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
>     AS '
> blah blah
> ';
>
> Is there a special reason to this? I have a hard time believing that
> everyone does it the same way by coincidence.

I think previous versions only allowed the language specification at the
end.  I got used to putting it before the function text though, so if
you are able to read something written by me you'd see that.

That was your point, wasn't it?

"In fact, the basic problem with Perl 5's subroutines is that they're not
crufty enough, so the cruft leaks out into user-defined code instead, by
the Conservation of Cruft Principle."  (Larry Wall, Apocalypse 6)