Re: Column name 'user' not allowed? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From gearond@fireserve.net
Subject Re: Column name 'user' not allowed?
Date
List pgsql-general
I went through the frustration of that as well. I guess all people making libraries which use RDBMs should read the SQL
spec(like that'll happen) so they don't use reserved words.

I changed all my use of the word user to 'usr'. Shortness is next to godliness. I made sure to change ALL occurrences
soI didn't have to remeber to where I had changed.
Duane Lee - EGOVX <DLee@mail.maricopa.gov> wrote:

<wrote ---------------------------------------------------------->
"'Thomas Mueller'" <news-exp-dec04@tmueller.com>, pgsql-general@postgresql.org

Try putting USER in quotes like this "USER".

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Mueller [mailto:news-exp-dec04@tmueller.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 1:44 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Column name 'user' not allowed?

Hi,

I tried to install phpopenchat but I can't create this table:

poc=> CREATE TABLE poc_user_account (
poc(>   USER varchar(255) NOT NULL,
poc(>   PASSWORD varchar(255),
poc(>   CONFIRM_CODE char(32),
poc(>   DISABLED int NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
poc(>   KICKED int NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
poc(>   PASSWORD_NEW varchar(255),
poc(>   PRIMARY KEY (USER)
poc(> );
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "USER" at character 35

After searching a while what's wrong I renamed column USER to USER2 and
now I can create the table! I don't see a reason why column name USER
isn't allowed?!

I am running Postgres 7.4.2 on Linux.

Thanks!