Re: Column name 'user' not allowed? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Column name 'user' not allowed?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install phpopenchat but I can't create this table:
>
> poc=> CREATE TABLE poc_user_account (
> poc(>   USER varchar(255) NOT NULL,
> poc(>   PASSWORD varchar(255),
> poc(>   CONFIRM_CODE char(32),
> poc(>   DISABLED int NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
> poc(>   KICKED int NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
> poc(>   PASSWORD_NEW varchar(255),
> poc(>   PRIMARY KEY (USER)
> poc(> );
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "USER" at character 35
>
> After searching a while what's wrong I renamed column USER to USER2 and
> now I can create the table! I don't see a reason why column name USER
> isn't allowed?!

USER is a reserved word in SQL (at least in 92, and I think they only
added to the list in later versions) which technically makes it
unavailable as a non-quoted identifier.  If you were careful about
quoting, you could use "USER" (note the double quotes) for creating it and
all references to it.