Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 18:02:01 +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> wrote:
> >>Why are they useful???? If you want PG specific stuff then use the PG
> >>specific catalogs!!!
> >
> >The information schema could be used to provide a more stable interface.
> >The pg catalog changes from release to release and it would be nice to
> >be able to write code which is more future proof.
>
> Really? It will have the same problem!  That being that when we change
> stuff in the catalogs, we will need to change it in the info schema as
> well more than likely...

That isn't my expectation. I would expect that in most cases the pg catalog
would be changed to include more information, not less and that the
old information affected by a change could still be obtained by using
a more complicated view.