Re: A wanna be - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonathan Gardner
Subject Re: A wanna be
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 01 July 2004 01:10 pm, Jaime Casanova wrote:

> I'm a young developer with some knowledge in various programming
> languages including C. Nowadays, i'm not capable to contribute to any
> part of the postgresql project but i want seriously learn what i need in
> order to contribute. Can you guys tell me where can i start?
> Where can i find usefull information about Databases programming
> techniques?

First, become intimately familiar with the tool from the user's perspective.
I use PostgreSQL for some major projects, and so I have grown familair with
it. I don't think I could've gotten this familiar without having to
actually use it in a production environment.

Second, start coding extensions to it. I have written C code for both the
client and server side, and have learned tremendously from that.

Finally, start reading code around the parts you are interested in.

I have also found that watching the patches come in will give you a feel for
what is happening. Not only do you see the actual code, but you can watch
the experts talk about it. You can read through the code and then watch as
the server behaves differently. It's pretty amazing.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@jonathangardner.net