Re: nested xacts and phantom Xids - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: nested xacts and phantom Xids
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:58:15AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> If we add nested transactions for 7.5, are we going to need savepoints
> too in the same release?  If we don't, are we going to get a lot of
> complaints?

It'd be good to have savepoints right now.  I'm not sure it'd be good to
expose the nested transactions implementation if we are going to offer
savepoints later, because it means we will have to keep nested
transactions forever.

Maybe it is a good idea to hide the implementation details and offer
only the standard SAVEPOINT feature.  I'm not sure how hard it is to
change the syntax; I don't think it'd be a big deal.

"La conclusión que podemos sacar de esos estudios es que
no podemos sacar ninguna conclusión de ellos" (Tanenbaum)