Re: More psql problems... >.< - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: More psql problems... >.<
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:52:03PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I have got to say that my first foray into postgresSQL is becoming a
> very madening experience... I am sure it is my own fault for not knowing
> very much but it seems that everything I have tried so far to improve
> performance has in fact made it a lot worse. Now my program dies after
> roughly 300 seconds of processing directories and updates take literally
> 10 time longer than inserts (which are themselves very slow).

<snip>

>   My previous question was performance based, now I just need to get
> the darn thing working again. Like I said, after ~300 seconds perl dies.
> If I disable auto-commit then it dies the first time it runs an insert.
> (this is all done on the same table; 'file_dir'). If I add a 'commit'
> before each select than a bunch of selects will work (a few dozen) and
> then it dies anyway.

What is "dying"? Do you get an error message? From your message there
is nowhere near enough information to give you any good answers. Have
you run VACUUM [FULL|ANALYZE] recently? Are your indexes being used? If
you really want help, post your Per code, queries, database schema,
exmaple output, anything that might indicate what your actual problem.
We are, unfortunatly, not psychic.

We run PostgreSQL with several simultaneous users on several million
rows of data doing a few hundred thousand queries a day and the
database is not the bottleneck.

Attachment