Re: Database corruption using 7.4.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: Database corruption using 7.4.1
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 02:32:16PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Since that 7.4.2 release-note only talked about crashing queries due to the
> > 7.4.1 bug, but not about data-corruption occuring, I wondered if the
> > symptoms I have seen are related to the alignment bug in 7.4.1 or not.
>
> No, I don't think so.  The alignment bug could cause the planner to
> crash while retrieving statistics about a table, but it would not have
> any effect on fetching the data in a table.  In particular I don't
> believe it could have any effect at all on a COPY command, which is what
> I think you are saying was failing?
Yes - but also selects on the broken tables where failing (causing the
backend to crash) - that's how we noticed to problem in the first place.

> > I finally fixed the problem by dumping all relevant tables "by hand", and
> > restoring them into a clean install of 7.4.2.
>
> How exactly did you do the "by hand" dump?
"by hand" was a rather stupid explaination ;-) I used the regular pg_dump
app, but I dumped only the tables which contain valueable data, not the ones
which could be recreated from files outside of the database. Luckily all the
important tables could still be dumped.

greetings, Florian Pflug