Re: dynamic rules? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: dynamic rules?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 21:32:47 -0700, Christopher Dedels <cdedels@mygeotivity.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to create a select rule that returns results depending on a
> where clause in the original select statement?
>
> For Example (oversimplified):
>
> CREATE TABLE one (data int);
> CREATE TABLE two (data int);
>
> I make the query:
> SELECT data FROM number WHERE type=1;
>
> If the type is 1 (type=1) I want to return 'SELECT data FROM one;'
> If the type is 2 (type=2) I want to return 'SELECT data FROM two;'

If you don't need to do updates, you can do this with a view.
It would look something like:

CREATE VIEW number (data, type) AS SELECT one.data, 1 FROM one UNION SELECT two.data, 2 FROM two;

I didn't test the command so there might be a syntax error in it, but
the approach should work.