Re: [SQL] SQL Spec Compliance Questions - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [SQL] SQL Spec Compliance Questions
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Elein,

> In postgres and Illustra, references were possible.
> That is, storing the OID (REF) of a table in a column of another
> table achieving the same effect.  SQL syntax support
> was needed for the REF type.  I believe this was removed
> or suppressed in PostgreSQL.

Yeah, I'd like to see a return of table references as FKs.   It would allow me
to eliminate all of these rather non-relational integer-based surrogate keys.

I don't think our OIDs would be the way to go on this, given the problems
already discussed with PG OIDs.   I kinda like SyBase's solution, where they
have a system-acessable hash key of the data in the row.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions