Re: function with a composite type calling another function - Mission Impossible? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Riccardo G. Facchini
Subject Re: function with a composite type calling another function - Mission Impossible?
Date
List pgsql-sql
--- Tom Lane <__> wrote:
> "Riccardo G. Facchini" <__> writes:
> > declare my_new_complex complex_number;
>
> > select * from complex_to_complex(my_new_complex) into my_result;
>
> > ERROR:  column "my_new_complex" does not exist
>
> plpgsql doesn't presently cope with passing whole-row variables into
> SQL
> expressions, which is essentially what you've got here.  There's some
> chance it will work in time for 7.5.
>
>             regards, tom lane

then, why
---
select * from complex_to_real(real_to_complex(1, 2));

select * from complex_to_complex(real_to_complex(1, 2));
---
work? and why the function definition:

CREATE or replace FUNCTION public.really_really_complex(complex_number)
RETURNS complex_number AS
'declare my_complex alias for $1;

declare my_result complex_number;

begin

my_result := complex_to_complex(my_complex);

return my_result;

end;'
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;
---