Re: Error running initdb - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Subject Re: Error running initdb
Date
List pgsql-admin
"David Parker" <dparker@tazznetworks.com> wrote:

[snip]

> I am not running this under a separate username, so the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> set in my own .cshrc should apply, I would think. Does
> /etc/init.d/postgresql still need to be modified, even if there is no
> special postgresql user?
[snip]

/etc/init.d/postgresql?  Erm, that's a system startup script, which
will be run by root.  You're not running pgsql as root, are you?  Or
you're saying pgsql is being run under your user i.d.?  Either way: I
think the answer to your question is "Yes."

Anyway, you were talking about initdb, not postmaster startup at boot.
If you're setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH and there's not a permissions
problem, that should be sufficient.

Jim