Re: pg_dump --comment? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_dump --comment?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> This can be accomplished with 10-20 lines of shell scripting. I don't
> think it's worth the trouble bloating pg_dump with it at all.

Considering how much bloat -v adds, adding a datestamp to it is trivial.-v outputs things like:---- TOC entry 1449
(class0 OID 0)-- Dependencies: 4-- Name: public; Type: ACL; Schema: -; Owner: postgres--

so adding a timestamp at the top is probably a good extension.

Actually, the pg_dump -v docs are incorrect because they only mention
additional stderr output, not the additional comments.  I updated the
text to:
       Specifies verbose mode.  This will cause       <application>pg_dump</application> to output detailed object
comments in the dump file, and progress messages to standard error.

This -v functionality controlling comments is new in 7.5.

Pennsylvania19073