Re: Relocatable locale - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Relocatable locale
Date
List pgsql-patches
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I am wondering if we should use environment variables, and have our
> > apps use putenv() to set it to the proper relative path.
>
> The problem isn't our applications, it's someone else's applications.
> Are you saying that from now on, setting certain environment variables
> is part of the required startup for libpq programs?  Remember that on
> Windows in generall all installations are relocated away from the
> default location.

Well, if they want locale-specific error messages from libpq in their
applications, the have to supply those locale files somehow.  They could
supply them in the same directory as their binaries and use putenv()
and find_my_exec().

Sure, it is a hack, but what other option do we have?  Do we somehow
move the locale files into the library?