Re: [HACKERS] Configuration patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Configuration patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
This looks very close to the method we had agreed to.  I think it need a
little adjustment, like removing tablespace now that the tablespaces
patch is coming, but it is a great start.

I could probably clean it up and apply it.  Is that OK?

pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:
> This patch incorporates a number of changes suggested by the group. The
> purpose of this patch is to move postgresql to a position where all
> configuration options are specified in one place. The postgresql.conf file
> could completely document a postgresql environment.
>

> It adds this functionality:
>
> The "-D' option will work as it always has if it is set to a standard
> postgresql database cluster directory. If it is set to a "postgresql.conf"
> file, it will use that file for configuration. If it is set to a directory
> which is not a cluster directory, i.e. "/somepath/etc" it will look for
> pg_hba.conf, pg_ident.conf, and postgresql.conf there.
>
> For postgresql to work only with a configuration file, some options have
> been added:
>
> include = '/etc/postgres/debug.conf'
> pgdata = '/vol01/postgres'
> hba_conf = '/etc/postgres/pg_hba_conf'
> ident_conf = '/etc/postgres/pg_ident.conf'
> runtime_pidfile = '/var/run/postgresql.conf'
> tablespace = '/somevol/somepath'
>
> "include" allows files with configuration parameters to be included.
>
> "pgdata" (used to be data_dir in old patch) tells PostgreSQL where it's
> database cluster directory is located.
>
> "hba_conf" tells PostgreSQL where to find pg_hba.conf file.
>
> "ident_conf" tells PostgreSQL where to find pg_ident.conf.
>
> "runtime_pidfile" tells postgres to write it's PID to a file that would be
> used by external applications. It is *NOT* the pid file which postgresql
> uses.
>
> "tablespace" allows postgresql to use alternate locations without
> environment variables. Using SIGHUP, tablespaces are reloaded. This allows
> you to add tablespaces to a running PostgreSQL process. (I know this has a
> limited lifetime, but it may make "CREATE DATABASE ... WITH LOCATION" a
> little bit more sane in the meantime.

[ Attachment, skipping... ]