Re: Relocatable installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Relocatable installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > >
> > > I think it is perfectly sufficient to say that if you want a
> > > relocatable install, don't use rpath.  Static linking will lead to
> > > all other kinds of madness.
> >
> > OK, I added some more documentation about how to make relocatable
> > installs.
>
> The shared library path issues are explained in detail later.  You
> should refer there rather than listing only a few ideas that may or may
> not work.  We can't assume that people will have an enlightenment at
> the mere appearance of the word LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Thanks.  New text:
        For relocatable installs, you might want to use        <filename>configure</filename>'s
<literal>--disable-rpath</>       option.  Also, you will need to tell the operating system how        to find the
sharedlibraries.

Pennsylvania19073