Re: Relocatable installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Relocatable installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> > I think if we go for the plan outlined, we will not need a special
> > configure flag.  (People might decide to move the install dir long after
> > they install it.)  By default, everything sits under pgsql as pgsql/bin,
> > pgsql/lib, etc.  I can't see how making it relative is going to bite us
> > unless folks move the binaries out of pgsql/bin.  Is that common for
> > installs that don't specify a special bindir?
> >

> Does that include a mechanism for -rpath?
>
> Currently, if you have multiple installations of PostgreSQL on a server
> and call ones psql or whatever explicitly, it is not loading another
> ones libpq, but for sure the one belonging to its version. How does the
> plan you're talking about cover this?

Someone asked about rpath, and I didn't deal with it.  How many
platforms use rpath?  I am not sure.

I assume folks are going to have to modify their ld.so.conf to point to
the proper library, or for non-root, set an environment variable like
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Pennsylvania19073