Re: add server include files to default installation? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: add server include files to default installation?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > > As an illustration, the apache software installs by default all
> > > necessary includes and even a special tailored command (apxs) so as
> > > to help extension modules to be compiled, installed and even configured
> > > easilly.
> > >
> > > Is there any opposition to this move? Silence will mean consent;-)
> >
> > Agreed.  I would also like to see Makefile.global installed.
> > pg_config.h has C-level configs, and Makefile.global has the
> > Makefile-level configs.
>
> Don't agree with Makefile.global, cause then you have to also install the
> physical template files for the various operating system too, no?  What
> else does Makefile.global rely on?

I think you would need the src/makefile files.  The template files are
only used during configure.  You might need some more include stuff too,
not sure.  I see:
include $(top_builddir)/src/Makefile.port

and this gets confusing because Makefile.port is a symlink to the actual
file.  I wonder if we could copy the actual file as Makefile.port.  I
think that would work.

Anyway, I can also see packagers greping the Makefile for information.
For example, it is hard to know the thread flags except from the file.

Pennsylvania19073