Re: threads stuff/UnixWare - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: threads stuff/UnixWare
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > [ Sorry I have been away from email today. ]
> >
> > Larry, now that I have put the thread testing into configure, I am ready
> > to deal with Unixware.  In fact I posted to the list asking you about it
> > but was too lazy to look up your email address.
> >
> > Anyway, I think the only solution is going to be to use the -K flag on
> > all compiles on that platform if you want threads, so anything that uses
> > libpq will need it.  We don't have a client-level flags option at this
> > point, but we can add it, or just the flag for the backend compile too.
> I think a client-level flag would be best, that way the backend doesn't get
> the wrapped functions from libthread.
>
> Can you do the patch?

OK.  Can someone think of a clean way to add a flag to everything but
the backend build?  Hold, what about /port.  Larry, if we compile
anything with threads does everything that links with that object file
require the flag, even if there are no thread flags in the object file?
I don't think so, but I am just checking.  Actually, my bet is that it
might do that because if it didn't, there would be no problem with using
that flag on the backend because there are no threading calls in there.

I am afraid of libpgport.  Those object files get used by the backend,
and by the client stuff.  Larry can -K and non-K object files be mixed
in the same binary?

Pennsylvania19073