Re: BUG #1147: Getting rid of LD_LIBRARY_PATH - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: BUG #1147: Getting rid of LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Am Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2004 18:30 schrieb Tom Lane:
> "PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org> writes:
> > ./configure LDFLAGS="-R /usr/local/lib" --with-tcl

> > An easier way would be to append the value of LDFLAGS to the linker
> > commands building the shared libraries,  not only to those building the
> > executables.
>
> AFAICS we do that too.  So I'm still confused why you have a problem.

We only take the -L flags from LDFLAGS for the shared library link.  This is
probably a result of paranoia.  Can you think of a flag that is reasonable
for a user to set in LDFLAGS by hand that should not end up in the shared
library link?  Useful LDFLAGS I can think of are -L, -l, -R (or equivalent),
debugging, optimization, profiling, and maybe some 32/64 bit selection, and
all of these can be passed to the shared library link.  I'm not sure,
however, about the assignments in Makefile.hpux.