Re: Relocatable installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Relocatable installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >I think we should use the relative-path method *unless* the configure
> >command called out specific installation directories (that is, not
> >just --prefix but --datadir and/or related options).  If you use one of
> >those then that absolute path should be used always, ie, you are
> >specifically asking for a nonrelocatable install and that's what you
> >should get.
> >

> I think we are making this way too complicated in a quest for
> flexibility that is of dubious value.
>
> I think we could adopt a simple rule: if you configure it for relocation
> (and I think you should have to do that explicitly) then all paths are
> relative to the binary location. If not, then full hardcoded paths are
> used. No exceptions.
>
> Most people won't need this at all, I suspect - people who make binary
> packages/installers for redistribution will find it a great boon.

I think if we go for the plan outlined, we will not need a special
configure flag.  (People might decide to move the install dir long after
they install it.)  By default, everything sits under pgsql as pgsql/bin,
pgsql/lib, etc.  I can't see how making it relative is going to bite us
unless folks move the binaries out of pgsql/bin.  Is that common for
installs that don't specify a special bindir?

Pennsylvania19073