Re: ALTER TABLE TODO items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE TODO items
Date
Re: ALTER TABLE TODO items  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Bruce Momjian (pgman@candle.pha.pa.us) wrote:
> Do we still want this TODO?
>
>         o Allow columns to be reordered using ALTER ... POSITION i col1 [,col2];
>           have SELECT * and INSERT honor such ordering
>
> I don't think so.  As I remember it was part of doing logical attribute
> numbers as a way to add ALTER COLUMN TYPE, but because we now use table
> recreate to implement this, it is unlikely we will ever add logical
> attribute numbers (adds too much complexity to the code).

Does using table recreate break views built against the table?  I recall
someone saying the old way did, it would be very nice if that could be
fixed or at least added to the TODO.  I like the idea of being able to
alter the positions of the columns too, but that's not as big of an
issue as breaking views.
Stephen