Re: initdb error - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From jseymour@LinxNet.com (Jim Seymour)
Subject Re: initdb error
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Kevin Schroeder" <kschroeder@mirageworks.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>     I'm trying to install PostgreSQL on Solaris 9.  Everything's compiled
> properly but when I run initdb I get the following error:

[snip]
> creating conversions... ERROR:  could not load library
> "/usr/local/pgsql/lib/ascii_and_mic.so": ld.so.1:
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed: No such
> file or directory
>
> I found libgcc_s.so.1 in /usr/local/lib and that directory is in
> $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Is there anything that I'm missing here or that I need to
> look for in my configure settings?

Is that directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH when you're su'd to the postgreSQL
user?

I added

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

to /etc/init.d/postgresql and created a .profile in its home directory
with that in it.

Solved all those problems :).

You can also solve such problems by using the -R switch during build
(man ld) and with Solaris 8/9's new "crle" utility.

--
Jim Seymour                  | PGP Public Key available at:
jseymour@LinxNet.com         | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html