Re: [BUGS] BUG #1134: ALTER USER ... RENAME breaks md5 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #1134: ALTER USER ... RENAME breaks md5
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:37:50AM +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Even of the salt is based on the login, the point is that it is stored
> separatly, so the system does not rely on the login string to check the
> password.
>
> The only other scheme which requires the user password somehow is the HTTP
> digest authentification, and AFAIK no one in the world uses it;-)

I think (some of the) SASL authentication mechanisms also use a digest
of the user and password, if that's what you meant.  But the username
and password have to be stored separately on the server anyway, just
like HTTP digest -- they are means of hiding it on the wire, not on
disk.

"El miedo atento y previsor es la madre de la seguridad" (E. Burke)