Re: Proper SQL syntax requested - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Proper SQL syntax requested
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thursday 22 April 2004 00:41, Blake wrote:

> Select * from floors Where system = 1 ORDER by make
>
> This sorts by the Serial ID's in column make
>
> I would like to be able to sort by the actual Names associated back
> from the ID's. Anyway of doing this??

You don't say which table contains the name in question. Assuming we want
column make_name from table make_description with an id of make_id then:

SELECT floors.* FROM floors, make_description
WHERE system=1 AND floors.make = make_description.make_id
ORDER BY make_description.make_name;

This is called a join. Any book on databases/SQL should discuss this sort of
stuff.

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd