Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Am Freitag, 23. April 2004 06:09 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
>     o  Are we marketing ourselves properly?
>     o  Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?
>     o  How do we position ourselves against a database that some
>        say is "good enough" (MySQL), and another one that some
>        say is "too much"  (Oracle)
>     o  Are our priorities too technically driven?

Success is not measured by absolute number of installations.  You can measure
success by having enough users so that the project can continue, enough users
so you can make a living, more satisfied users than unsatisfied ones, more
heavy-duty installations than personal database-driven websites, and by
having a product that you feel good about.  The only way to position
ourselves is as the relational database with the best price/performance
ration (price = TOC, performance = features + speed).  And the only way to
achieve any of these goals is by focussing on technology and ease of use.
For the crowd out there, PostgreSQL is an exciting and growing topic.  That's
more important than the installation count.