Re: What can we learn from MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Subject Re: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:08:30 -0400 (EDT)
Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > It seems to me that the point of pg_autovacuum would be to run 24/7
> > so that there is never big hit on the system.  Perhaps it could be
> > designed to throttle itself based on current system usage though.
>
> Or the number of connected backends, or both?

I am sure that there are lots of ways to guage.  Not sure which is best
but I am sure that the smart people here will figure it out.  The
important thing, I think, is to let the engine make the decision
dynamically.  Personally I don't have a "quiet time" per se but there
are random quiet periods.  Something that jumps into the fray at those
points would be really nicwe.