Re: [OT] Tom's/Marc's spam filters? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jseymour@LinxNet.com (Jim Seymour)
Subject Re: [OT] Tom's/Marc's spam filters?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

[snip]

> 3. I have noticed that bouncing any machine that sends "HELO
> sss.pgh.pa.us" gets rid of a ton of spam and viruses.

IOW: Anything the HELOs with your mail server's own hostname.  If you
can do it: Changing that to anything that HELOs with your domain name
(that's not supposed to) and you'll catch still more. Add to that
anything HELOing with your mail server's IP address and you'll catch
more yet.

>                                                        I don't know of
> any real clean way to do this, but I have a sendmail.cf hack for it.
[snip]

Postfix, which is what I use, has built-in support for HELO checks.

--
Jim Seymour                | Spammers sue anti-spammers:
jseymour@LinxNet.com       |     http://www.LinxNet.com/misc/spam/slapp.php