Re: Plan for CSV handling of quotes, NULL - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Plan for CSV handling of quotes, NULL
Date
Re: Plan for CSV handling of quotes, NULL
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I found parse_coerce.c::TypeCategory(), which contains information about
> > which data type oids are in which grouping, e.g. DATETIME, STRING,
> > NUMERIC, etc.  It seems that function, if called with
> > pg_type.typbasetype could help determine if quotes should be used.
>
> TypeCategory is a crock that should have been done away with long ago.
> We need to be working to eliminate it, not expand our dependency on it.

Ah, so do we have any other way to identify the type of field we are
using?  Particularly, how do we identify a numeric and dates?

If we don't find something, we have to push those decisions to the user,
which is kind of strange because deep down we must know this.

The only other thing we could do would be to add something to pg_type
that says whether it needs quotes.  Seems like overkill.