Re: Select/Group by/Order by question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Nolan
Subject Re: Select/Group by/Order by question
Date
List pgsql-general
> You are grouping/ordering by the textual result of to_char(),
> in which PM naturally follows AM.  I think the behavior you
> want would come from grouping/ordering by the underlying
> timestamp column "mtrantime".

Well, I need it grouped by hour, but that led me to the solution:

select to_char(date_trunc('hour',mtrantime),'mm-dd hh AM') as
datetime, count(*) as tot, from memtran
group by mtranoper, date_trunc('hour',mtrantime)
order by mtranoper, date_trunc('hour',mtrantime)

I knew there had to be a straight-forward solution.  Thanks Tom.
--
Mike Nolan