Re: [ADMIN] Raw devices vs. Filesystems - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Raw devices vs. Filesystems
Date
Re: [ADMIN] Raw devices vs. Filesystems
List pgsql-performance
Grega,

> Furthermore, this filesystem would be a blazing one stop solution for
> all replication issues PostgreSQL currently suffers from, as its main
> design goal was to present "a consistent file system image across the
> servers in a cluster".

Does it work, though?   Without Oracle admin tools?

> Now, if both goals can be achieved in one go, hell, I'm willing to try
> it out myself in an attempt to extract off of it, some performance
> indicators that could be compared to other database performance tests
> sent to both this and the PERFORM mailing list.

Hey, any test you wanna run is fine with us.    I'm pretty sure that OCFS
belongs to Oracle, though, patent & copyright, so we couldn't actually use it
in practice.

If your intention in this test is to show the superiority of raw devices, let
me give you a reality check: barring some major corporate backing getting
involved, we can't possibly implement our own PG-FS for database support.  We
already have a TODO list which is far too long for our developer pool, and
implementing a custom FS either takes a large team (OCFS) or several years of
development (Reiser).

Now, if you know somebody who might pay for one, then great ....

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions