Re: How can I change type of column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl O. Pinc
Subject Re: How can I change type of column
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2004.03.31 09:36 mlists wrote:
> Can I change type of column with alter table command?
>
> For instance if I have a table t1 and column c1 which is defined as
> decimal(18, 2) and I want to change it into decimal(18, 3) in MS SQL
> server I can write:
>
> alter table t1 alter column c1 decimal(18, 3)
>
> Is there something similar in PostgreSQL? Tnx in advance.

Not that I know of.  You either have to add a new column,
copy the data with UPDATE, drop the old column, and then alter the new
column to disallow NULL if necessary or you have to
do a pg_dump on the table and drop and re-create the table.
The latter if you've scripts or whatever relying on the
'order' of the columns as returned with SELECT * type
statements.

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein