Re: Interval constant syntax, was Re: Interval & check clause - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Interval constant syntax, was Re: Interval & check clause
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 15:28:59 -0600,
  "Karl O. Pinc" <kop@meme.com> wrote:

> And this was my scratch psql test:
>
> => select CAST('1/1/2004' AS date) - '3 years';
> ERROR:  Bad date external representation '3 years'
>
> I am using 7.3 so maybe this has been fixed.  Or it's just the
> operator, some require casts and some don't and you just have to find
> out the hard way.  :(

This is different in that you are using - instead of >= . Date - Date
will get picked because that is the only - operator with a left operand
of type date. You are trying to use timestamp - interval (with date
getting promoted to timestamp).