Re: PG vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Nolan
Subject Re: PG vs MySQL
Date
Re: PG vs MySQL
List pgsql-general
> Huh?  Each database under PostgreSQL is kept under a seperate directory on
> the server ... always has been that way ..

Perhaps, but it isn't obvious which directory has which database.  I'm not
not sure which system catalogs provide that information, something that
wasn't obvious from the online docs, either.

> As to the ability to create/manage their own databases .. pls elaborate on
> what issues you've had with this under PostgreSQL, as its a simple ALTER
> command to provide a user with both CREATE USER and/or CREATE DATABASE
> permisisons ...

One of the big differences I see from the perspective of the DBA at an
ISP is that MySQL has better user/customer isolation.  This means
that customer A should not be able to learn ANYTHING about customer
B's database, not even that it exists.

The \l command should only list databases that the current user is
authorized for, the \du command should only list users authorized for
the current database (and perhaps only superusers should get even that
much information), etc.  Perhaps it is possible to set PG to do this,
but that should probably be the default.
--
Mike Nolan