Re: Automatic language selection - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Automatic language selection
Date
List pgadmin-support
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Forgot to mention:
> If selecting "Default", the system locale *is* used, as it is to
> display the language selection box. We had a bug not storing the
> user's choice for "Default" to configuration which was fixed
> yesterday.

To me this is not so much a question of functionality, it's a question
of user interface design: don't bother the user with unnecessary
questions.  The application works perfectly well with the default
(system locale) language, and the vast majority of users probably never
want to change it.  It's okay to have a menu entry to change the
language (although personally I find it unnecessary), but you don't
need to ask on startup.  Imagine if every GUI application you started
asked for the language the first time.  You would never get any work
done.  It's also not helped by the fact that normally Afrikaans is the
default choice and you need to scroll around to find other popular
languages.  I've seen people look at the pgAdmin language selection
dialog and most were puzzled or annoyed ("Where is my language?", "Why
does it have to ask this?", "Why can't pgAdmin work like the other
apps?").