Re: "People near me" query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: "People near me" query
Date
List pgsql-general
* Nick Barr (nicky@chuckie.co.uk) wrote:
> http://postgis.refractions.net

I second this recommendation.  Additionally, consider checking out
GDAL, ogr2ogr and the TIGER dataset provided by the US Census (if you're
in the US anyway).  It provides information about basically all the
streets, landmarks, etc in the country.

> It will do all sorts of spatial queries for you including all of what
> you metioned and lots lots more. There are plenty of people who use it
> (including me) and it performs very well. I am not sure how easy it is
> to install, my colleague does that bit, but to use it is really quite
> simple.

I didn't have too much trouble building/installing it.  In fact, I'm in
the process of putting together a Debian postgresql-postgis package
which will handle installing it for you on Debian systems.  My main
concern with that package atm is how to best handle database upgrades.
I'm waiting to see the new multi-version installation stuff the
PostgreSQL Debian maintainer is doing and see how that will change what
I need to do with PostGIS.

I'm certainly interested in having testers for the Debian package
though.  Anyone who's interested please contact me off-list.

    Stephen

Attachment