Re: Huge number of raws - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Reyes
Subject Re: Huge number of raws
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Anton Nikiforov wrote:

> >Or were you talking about something else like storing different data in
> >different media speeds? (Like Hierarchical Storage Management)
> >

> I do not exactly know how to deal wth such a huge amount of data. The disk subsytem is the must and i do undrstand
this.SMP architecture is the must also.
> I was asking is there any way that data will migrate from fast disk subsystem to slower but relyible automaticaly.
Likein Nivell Netware (i used to work with it 7-8 years ago) you could ask the system if the file is untached for a
month- then move it from one disk to magnetic-optical or tape but if this file is requested OS could move it back to
theoperational volume.

Ok so you were talking about HSM (Hierarchical Storage Management). I
don't believe it's possible at this time anything like that with
PostgreSQL. Also I don't think, personally, that anything like that will
ever be implemented. The main object of a database is to allow access to
data quickly. HSM is a way to keep cost of storage low.

There are, however, ways you could do this with programs.
If there is data that your users will not need often you could write
programs to move that particular data from one server to another.